Skip to content
Pelvic Pain
Patrice61 posted:
I had a hysterectomy two years ago. Recently, I started experiencing pelvic pain. I have had a pelvic exam, an ultrasound, blood work, etc. However, my doctor says all my tests have come back as normal. I am scheduled for a CT scan next week. Is it possible I have developed scar tissue after my hysterectomy that is causing my discomfort? Is this fairly common?

Anon_6061 responded:
I've also had some (occasional) pain since my hysterectomy but it's more of a feeling of pressure than pain although can get downright painful at times. Mine's related to the repositioning of my bowels and the resulting changes in their function.

Scar tissue (adhesions) can definitely cause pain. And it's my understanding that they aren't visible on imaging so one can only guess if that's the problem without exploratory surgery after ruling out other causes. And of course more surgery can cause more adhesions. You didn't mention the reason for your hysterectomy but if you had endometriosis, endo can return after hysterectomy.

Patrice61 replied to Anon_6061's response:
Yes, I and endometriosis, fibroids, and another benign tumor. Your reply has given me the most information about the possible source of my discomfort. Thanks for the reply.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website