Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
WORRIED- am I going thru the change or something else
An_250387 posted:
I was on tamoxifen for five years and just went off of it this past September. I would get my period three days very light and went about 35 days without having it again. Now since I have been off of it it's been 28 days for about 7 days now it came 2 weeks early and I have been bleeding since it's been 35 days.. I am worried since I have already had breast cancer I am concerned that this isn't normal. I don't have a lot of woman that are able to communicate this sensitive issue with. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear An_250387,
Please don't worry-but you do need to do a bit of evaluating with your gynecologist. Indeed, this could be totally unrelated to the tamoxifen; this kind of a bleeding pattern can happen with "plain old perimenopause"-so it may have no relationship to having been on the tamoxifen. That being said, there certainly is a known association of tamoxifen with certain changes in the lining of the uterus, most commonly polyps. So I would suggest you do contact your gynecologist; remind him or her that you have relatively recently finished your tamoxifen, and are doing this type of bleeding. I would think that (s)he would probably suggest either an ultrasound, or sampling of the lining of the uterus (which can be done in the office.) So please don't worry-but do check in.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Estring worked for me
I've had this problem periodically since menopause - I am now 67. Cure for me was Estring, which actually causes a pleasant sort of sweet ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website