Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Perimenopause - Not Sure
An_250444 posted:
I'm 43 years old and have very normal periods until the last 2 months. Last month, my period lasted 10-12 days (normally 7 days). Now, this month, I have yet to start and am now a week late. I have been having stomach cramping the last several weeks but not all the time (just occasionally and especially when I get up and move quickly). I also have felt really dizzy today and feel flushed. I'm freaking out as I just went for a physical and all of my blood tests came back normal and I've never had any trouble with my periods. Could this be perimenopause? I have 3 kids already and really don't even want to think that I could possibly be pregnant at 43. I've also been having some visual problems (such as floaters and blurred vision). Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear An_250444,
Please don't freak out! That being said, why not do a home pregnancy test, just to reassure yourself -the tests these days are quite accurate in detecting very early pregnancies; so a negative should be very reassuring. Could this be early perimenopause? It certainly could be, but it may be hard to prove. What I would suggest is that with your next period (or at some point with a period) on day 3 of the period, get an FSH test (a blood test). It is a test of ovarian reserve (and yes, there are home urine test kits for this as well). If the day 3 FSH is elevated, it shows decreased ovarian reserve (ie, you're getting closer to menopause). Alas, these tests aren't 100% accurate;you could have great ovarian reserve this year and be menopausal next year-but it would give you a "guesstimate"-and do follow up with your gynecologist,
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website