Skip to content
Severe Vaginal Dryness
Shirbo posted:
I'm new to this website and not sure if I'm using it correctly. I had a complete hysterectomy in 1980, at the age of 30. I had very early uterine cancer. Hadn't even penetrated the wall. Have always fought rness, but the last year it has been severe. I am so dry, it is almost raw. The itching and burning are awful. I talked with my Doctor about it and he will not prescribe any form of estrogen due to history. But the cancer was 31 years ago. I'm open and hoping for any suggestions.

Anon_6061 responded:
It's no wonder your vagina has shriveled up! You've probably been estrogen deprived all these years. Being without estrogen has other health risks too.

Withholding HRT in women who've had early stage endometrial cancer is outdated. The medical literature shows it to be safe in women who've had early stage endometrial cancer. And they're talking about systemic HRT (estrogen or estrogen plus progestin) so I'm especially surprised that your doctor won't even allow a vaginal estrogen to treat the atrophy. Google "estrogen replacement after early stage endometrial cancer" and read some of the studies / articles.

Since these studies aren't recent, maybe it's time for a new doctor.

mountainmom48 responded:
Have you checked on your thyroid in blood work? I had extreme dryness for a few years. Recently dx'd with hypothyroidism (dryness can be a symptom) and after starting medication, noticed a difference in moisture in about 10 days. Maybe something to check on. Good luck.

Shirbo replied to mountainmom48's response:
Thank you for the replies. I plan on talking again with my Doctor at my next appointment. I think I'm going to pretty much "insist" that I be put on some kind of HRT. I have been on thyroid meds and have it checked frequently for quite a few years now. I guess my question to th doctor is, since my cancer was so long ago and I have had no problems involving cancer since, why can't I use some kind of estrogen. Just asking.

Anon_6061 replied to Shirbo's response:
Good luck with your appointment! Let us know how it goes.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Red Clover Blossoms
I have done research and have been using red clover blossom 2x daily(750 mg from most vitamin places). I no longer get get hot flashes. ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website