Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
perimenopause?
An_250571 posted:
I am 49 years old and for the past 2 years have skipped a period here and there. 6 months ago, I was under a lot of stress and had my period for 14 weeks before going to the doctor. I had blood tests, and several types of ultrasounds. All were negative, but my doctor said I was in perimenopause. She put me on the pill to stop the bleeding as I was severely anemic due to the bleeding. After 2 months, I went off the pill.. Since then, I have not had a period at all. It has been 3.5 months since I was off the pill. This is the longest I have gone without a period. Could this be due to the pill, or just the beginning of starting to miss many months of having a period at a time? Should I be concerned?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear An_250571,
The pattern you describe of periods is pretty classical for perimenopause; and indeed, there is no absolute test for perimenopause. My favorite term for it is a "retrospective diagnosis"-once you are finished with having periods for a full year, you'll look back and say, yes, those symptoms were most likely related to perimenopause. It is unlikely that having taken the pill gave you the menstrual irregularities; I think you are just progressing through the perimenopausal process. Aslong as you are not anemic, and feeling well, it sounds totally reasonable for you to stay off the pill. If you start getting the crazy bleeding again, and start feeling poorly, you may want to consider going back on the pill. Sounds like you're doc is on top of things for you, which is great-
Good luck,
Mary Jane

dmw8000 replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Thank you!

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Estring worked for me
I've had this problem periodically since menopause - I am now 67. Cure for me was Estring, which actually causes a pleasant sort of sweet ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website