Skip to content
NuvaRing and high blood pressure
missjennifer1966 posted:
I am posting this here because I got no response in the Women's Health section. I have been on the ring for over 2 years because of heavy bleeding. I feel if I do not have it in, I will bleed profusely. A doctor I saw recently said I should not be on Nuva at all, much less no week-free, which is how the doctor prescribed it originally (when I tried with it out for a week, the bleeding became heavy again). She said because I am not 22 and have hypertension (been on clonidine for 8 months, but have had high blood pressure for years), I should not be on Nuva and she wants me to try Depo-Medrol. I am not sure which doctor to believe. I do not want to have hypertension continually (the clonidine keeps the systolic low, but the diastolic still runs in the 90s usually), but the Nuva really helps. I do not want to go to the ER for heavy bleeding. Should I try the Depo?

missjennifer1966 responded:
I meant to add that I am 46 years old, will be 47 in September. I was diagnosed as being perimenopausal some years ago.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Darkened Skin above my lip
What can I do about dark skin above my upper lip. I have gone through menopause already. I have tried skin bleach to no avail. What do I ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website