Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
surgical induced menopause???????
lady_izzy posted:
hey new here. so here's a lil about me: im 24 soon to be 25 with two boys who i wasnt suppose to be able to have and in October of 2011 i underwent a LAVH to removel my uterus and cervix. About 6 months after the surgery i started noticing changes here and there and they have progessively become worse. i have many of the signs of menopause and i am looking for ways to cope with this. i am open to any and all advice.

Anon_6061 responded:
I'm sorry you're going through this and at such a young age! Unfortunately, hysterectomy can cause compromised ovarian function or failure. You can find studies in pubmed by doing a web search for "pubmed hysterectomy ovarian failure function."

The loss of ovarian hormones increases risk for many health related problems. And you know all too well that it also does a number on quality of life. The increased health risks of ovary removal or failure can also be found in pubmed.

I've suffered from the effects of hysterectomy too. I've discovered that a woman with all her parts produces hormones from her ovaries into her 80's so I plan to take hormones for the rest of my life. I'm not happy about it but it sure beats not being able to function on a day-to-day basis.

Hope you start feeling better!

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

Menopause - Younger Ages
For those of you out there that are going/gone through menopause at an early age, Yes it happens. It's unusual but it happened to me. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 30 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website