Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Menopause after going off the pill
gemini62 posted:
I started on the pill when I was 42 until I turned 50 last Dec.
I took the last pill on Jan 19, 2013.
I got my period on Jan 22 + it ended Jan 28.
I thought my next period would start on Feb 19 but it hasn't started yet. I was so worried I took a pregnancy test on Feb 24 but it was negative.
Is this normal ?
I thought my periods would still be regular and gradually phase out.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Gemini62,
A good question: and I think you may be buying a few home pregnancy test kits!
If you have yet to have a period, one thing you could do is to ask your health care provider to order a blood test for you to check your FSH and estradiol levels. Those will give you a good idea as to how close you are to menopause. If they are in the totally normal (premenopausal range), you may just want to go back on the birth control pill for another year or so, ant then check again to see if you are menopausal. If your levels indicate that you are heading into menopause, fine-but do still use a birth control method (like condoms or a diaphragm) until you go a year without a menstrual period. As long as you are feeling fine, that's great-but if you are having symptoms, then do check in with your health care provider.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 39 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website