Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Bio Identical Hormone Therapy
rustyk posted:
I started Bio-Identical hormone therapy (compounded pill form) 9 days ago and feel pretty good however, I almost feel like I have a bladder infection but I dont I think its pressure/slight bloating has anyone else experienced this and is it temporary?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Rustyk,
Many women in menopause do get bladder symptoms, usually from too little estrogen (the bladder has lots of estrogen receptors, very much like the vagina.) Most of the compounded forms of estrogen for systemic use are fairly low doses; you may want to try some vaginal estrogens, which although they do not give you any significant blood levels of estrogen, do get some absorption up to the bladder, and can be helpful and make you feel more comfortable.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website