Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Stopping Overnight!
Thompja21964 posted:
Because of menopause, can a woman's period stop instantly overnight without warning? Im 49 and yss I know I have been having symptoms for a year or so of peri-menopause, no actual diagnose. But about 2 months now and NO period at all. I know all the books say "no period for a year" BUT its only 2 months, so i'm just asking is it possible that overnight instantly it stops?

Anon_596 responded:
I suppose it's possible as the beginning of menoapause. Menopause has to start-stopping at some point. Have you spoken with your GYN or Dr to rule out possible other causes? The 1 year timeframe is more like a baseline or rule of thumb, along with hormone levels dropping.

mountainmom48 responded:
I'm 48. When I was 46, I had 11 periods that year. Last year, I had two. This year, I'd only had one in six months, but was just diagnosed with hypothyroidism (which can alter periods) and since being on meds for 8weeks, have had a period each month. So, yes, your period can be hit and miss, but you'll not be considered menopausal until you've been without a period for 12 months. HTH.

Reesie_15 responded:
I am 46. Last year I had a period about every 2-3 months. This year I haven't had a period in 4-5 months. I have never been pregnant which I understand can expedite the process. I have definitely been struggling with sleep issues, irritability and (not hot flashes) but being too warm for the last year and a half.

Reesie_15 replied to Reesie_15's response:
My physicians have dismissed menopause and stated that I might be perimenopausal. I think they have missed the boat. I feel fairly confident that I am menopausal.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to Reesie_15's response:
Dear Reesie_15,
Technically, one cannot be deemed fully menopausal until one year without a period-however, women can certainly get symptoms related to the menopause transition before they ever skip a period. So things like sleep and temperature regulation can certainly be related to the perimenopausal process. One of the problems is that "perimenopause" can be difficult to diagnose; no blood test is absolute, and often we make the diagnosis sort of retrospectively-the periods start spacing out, and folks say, "Oh yes, this must be perimenopausal." If one is experiencing significant bothersome symptoms, it is certainly reasonable to introduce some hormone therapy (or other therapies for menopause) to see if they might be helpful.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Thompja21964 replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Dr Minkin,
I started this blog of some sort, I btw have hypothyroidism have had it for many years(dx when I was 25). Also in 6/2011 my husband passed away very suddenly and that has truly thrown me into a major depression, stress and serious insomnia too. Actually my insomnia started much earlier then 6/2011.
I'm aware of the 1 full yr without a period thing. I am 49 and the last 2 almost 3 months now no period, which of course isn't a problem but I was just wondering can a woman's period Just Stop Overnight like this? If so fine but if not what else might be the issue?
Just wondering! Thanks Jane in SouthCarolina

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to Thompja21964's response:
Dear Jane,
So sorry to hear about all you have been through, and your husband's passing. Periods can indeed stop overnight; although the majority of women do experience irregularity first, some do just stop cold. The other question is have you been taking any medications for your depression? Certain medications can also interfere with periods.
If you are getting even worse insomnia, do check in with your gynecologist to help give you some menopausal guidance, because sleep issues can be a major menopausal issue as well
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Estring worked for me
I've had this problem periodically since menopause - I am now 67. Cure for me was Estring, which actually causes a pleasant sort of sweet ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website