Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Going crazy
Bonkers1054 posted:
I am a 54 yr old female and I need help. I have always been a fairly upbeat person who sees the cup half full. I have survived the death of my first spouse, a divorce, raising two kids alone, college in my 40's, and finding myself alone at 50 for the first time in my life. But lately I find myself grumpy, depressed, sad and unmotivated. In the past year I lost 90 lbs but have hit a brick wall and still need to lose 5o more. Instead I've now gained 10. I can't sleep, I can't concentrate, I've missed the past two days of work just because I don't want to go, I'm on my period and have cramps, which I am so tired of, I don't know if this is menopause, but I think it might have something to do with it. I hate my job and can't imagine spending the rest of my working life doing it. I don't want to take drugs, am allergic to Aspirin, ibuprofen and codeine so am nervous about trying drugs, but feel I might need something. Any suggestions? I know I have to snap out of this but don't know how.

diane246 responded:
hi ,im a51 yr. old female who always was happy and enjoyed life, until i had surgery for heavy menstrual bleeding at 47.within 6 months no more menses,then all hell broke loose mood swings uncontrolable cryings etc.i felt asthough i was loosing my mind. went to the dr. he started me on antidepressants, which have helped some,i can honestly say iknow how you feel in that respect.start with your p.c.p. dr. ifyou need someone to talk to let me know.

Anon_6061 replied to diane246's response:
What surgery did you have - ablation??

diane246 replied to Anon_6061's response:
yes baloon ablation, only 2 days down time and no more menses within 6 months.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 39 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website