Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
post menopause
mendoza54 posted:
I went through menopause 17 years ago, no symptoms. Now, today, I am experiencing heavy bleeding, just like a period. Is this a sign of something with the internal organs going wrong?
Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Mendoza54,
All bleeding which occurs one year or more after the last menstrual period should be investigated. Hopefully, there will be nothing more than a polyp in the lining of your uterus (it could be something that simple.) But you do need to call your health care provider for an evaluation.
Good luck,
Mary Jane
siciliandad replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Does this include clotting-but not always?
Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to siciliandad's response:
Dear Siciliandad,
Yes, clotting can be related to a polyp too-but again, definitely needs to be investigated,
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Menopause - Younger Ages
For those of you out there that are going/gone through menopause at an early age, Yes it happens. It's unusual but it happened to me. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 32 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website