Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Few questions about menopause.
littleones posted:
Hello ladies,

I have a few questions, and concerns and hopefully I have come to the right place. I am 38 years old and my cycle has been pretty normal. I am now 11 days late and not pregnant. I went to my obgyn and she told me I might be entering early menopause, my sister has entered it at age 34. She has developed an action plan for me witch consists of having a thyroid blood test (did that and hopefully will hear back on Monday), if in two months I don't get a cycle she wants to induce one and have an ultrasound done.

I have noticed I am very moody, I feel horrible because I have three young children and a husband and don't want to be cranky mom all the time.

Now I didn't think to ask her these questions because I was in shock and when I got home I came up with them so hopefully someone can shed some light.

What will the thyroid test show? Why induce a period why not let my body do what it wants naturally? Is there something naturally I can take to help with my moods?

Thanks and good health to all.

Anon_6061 responded:
Thyroid problems or other endocrine problems can certainly cause menstrual cycle irregularities including early menopause. Early menopause or Premature Ovarian Failure is a serious health issue because our ovarian hormones are essential to every aspect of health (even after natural menopause). This link may be helpful in understanding POF - the various underlying causes, health risks, and treatments http://www.ipofa.org/. Best of luck to you in getting the proper health care!

Anon_6061 responded:
Sorry, I overlooked that you said your periods have been pretty normal until now (11 days late). Not sure why this one instance of being late would cause your gynecologist to think you're entering early menopause. Of course, if your sister went into menopause (without having had any procedure to induce it) at age 34, then you could be at increased risk.

It's possible the moodiness is caused by the same hormonal issues that are causing your period to be late which may have nothing to do with menopause. It could just be a severe or prolonged case of PMS

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

mood swings/menopause
I have so much empathy for all women that go through this,either mild or severe.I was put on a hormone,very low dose because I have 4 ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website