Skip to content
39 and tired!
womanof39needshelp posted:
well i hope someone can help me! i have been on my period for more than 3weeks now!! My normal is only 4or 5 days. Im only 39yrs old. Every women in my family have had to have a histerectomy! even my baby sister. It has been very heavy and painfull! And im getting very weak! Please help

Anon_6061 responded:
You would need an exam to determine the cause. Here's a link that lists causes - http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/menorrhagia/DS00394/DSECTION=causes. There are medications (OTC and Rx) that are effective as detailed here - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0015970/table/ch8.t1/?report=objectonly. And with the weakness, it sounds like you may be anemic or close to it in which case iron supplements would be needed.

You didn't mention why all the women in your family have had hysterectomies but it's the most overused surgery after c-section. Only about 2% are done for cancer. There are medical and surgical options for almost all causes of heavy menstrual bleeding that allow you to keep your uterus and its (non-reproductive) functions. Keep in mind though that any procedure that alters the normal functioning of your sex organ ("reproductive") system can cause permanent problems. At least with medications, you can stop taking them at any time. Once you get a diagnosis from your doctor, you can research your treatment options.

Also, it doesn't seem like you'd be entering perimenopause at age 39 but it is possible. Heavy and/or prolonged periods are common during perimenopause due to missed ovulations. But these can usually be managed with hormonal or non-hormonal medications listed in the link above. Let us know what you find out.

Pictigirl responded:
I've had those kinds of cycles as well, but they occured while I was in my early 50's. The doctor had me take iron during my cycles. Get to the doctor ASAP. Blood lose is nothing to laugh about.
You should also have your thyroid checked. I was the same age as you when I was tired all the time and my hair was falling out more than normal.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website