Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Perimenopause???crazy times!
misch posted:
am 44 and have always had regular cycles, so all of this came as quite a surprise and something i was not ready for by any means!! About 8 months ago noticed that my periods were becoming more frequent..like every 2 weeks. this prompted a visit to my gyn for annual exam..everything was normal. My periods went back to regular until this past november...i have not had a period for 3 months!! scared to death i was prego...went back to MD..not pregnant she thought i might be in perimenopause..all blood work came back in normal range..even my FSH and estrogen. I was sure it would be out of wack since i felt out of WACK!! Now..since the beginning of the this month i have been having spotting on and off all month every few days..somtimes very light sometimes moderate. She has now wanted me to start Provera for 10days to normalize things..anyone else going through this?? Not sure about the whole Provera thing!! Im afraid my bleeding will be extremely heavy when i stop taking it. IDEAS???

An_251066 responded:
I also experienced the same cycles.I am 44 and I went to see my gyn after not having a period for three months.I knew I wasn't pregnant.She check me and said that my wall was thick and I needed to have a period to do some furthur checking.Well she gave me 8 pills and BOY it worked too god.I thought It was never going to stop,but it did.To make a long story short,I am 3 weeks post op from having a full hysterectomy.Too many cyst,large uterus,wall still thick,etc..I am now in my next journey,Menopause..I always had a pain in my back and left pelvic area before.Now the pain is gone...I hope your doctor has looked into every posibility.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Misch,
Yes, I think I would do the provera, which is a kind of progesterone. The one thing we can clearly say is that for some reason, for the last several months, you were not ovulating properly-when you ovulate, you make progesterone,which is what will help clean out your uterus. The longer you go without cleaning it out, the likelier you are going to get an even heavier bleed. So I would go ahead and do the provera. Now, it is possible that you are heading towards menopause; the FSH test and estradiol are not foolproof, and in perimenopause your levels can go all over the place. There are indeed many other things that can interfere with ovulation as well. But the most important thing here is to get the uterus cleared out, and then see what happens. If you keep on the erratic period route, you and your gyn can come up with a plan to organize things. One option, if you indeed are in good health and a non smoker, might be a low dose birth control pill. But see what happens after you clear out your uterus now.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
Was this Helpful?
26 of 40 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website