Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Itchy skin
Robbin123 posted:
Has anyone gotten really itchy skin during menopause. Just trying to aliminate things. I have been doing a new weight lifting program and did end up with itchy calfs due to tight muscles because it did go away after a massage. But I did a new exercise which worked my trunk area and now that is really itchy. Trying to figure out if this is muscle related or if it could be menopause related. Any thoughts. R

scmom61 responded:
I do have itchy skin almost all the time, especially on the backs of my arms. I think it might be due to extra dry skin, which I hear goes along with menopause and the change in hormones.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to scmom61's response:
Dear scmom61,
Many women do experience dryness with menopause. Do make sure you are using some good topical lubricants to maintain moisture.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Anon_6061 responded:
My skin (especially my face) became hideously dry after a hysterectomy. I tried a number of lotions. The one that's worked best for me is CeraVe SA Renewing Lotion. It does a good job of holding in moisture. Although they carry some CeraVe products at my local Walmart, they don't stock this particular one so their pharmacy orders it for me.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 38 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website