Skip to content
Pessary recommended--I'm mid 70's, have vaginal/uterine prolapse
Anon_963 posted:
I read that women who have had a hysterectomy are less likely to have a pessary be successful in 'holding up the above condition'.
My new Gyn doctor has said I need surgery--preferably, but we could try the pessary first.
Since I don't have incontinence--but occasional 'urge incontinence' and frequent urination, I've not had this condition addressed and the doctor said I was headed for major problems if I didn't have it addressed.

So, I have opted for the Pessary, but am having 2nd thoughts and even thinking about postponing the surgery too for awhile anyway.
Just wondering if anyone here has had it--at my age or at least older women and how successful it has been in helping you. Thanks

Anon_6061 responded:
You mentioned hysterectomy but the title of the post says "vaginal/uterine prolapse." Do you still have your uterus?

In my opinion, it sounds like your problems aren't troubling enough to warrant surgery regardless of what organs are prolapsing. Your symptoms sound like "overactive bladder." There are meds to treat that. Have you been offered medication?

What type of surgery is your gynecologist recommending? Risk for bladder (and bowel) prolapse and incontinence increases after hysterectomy because you no longer have the uterus to keep the bladder and bowels in their proper positions.

In most cases, surgery to suspend the pelvic organs involves surgical mesh which is fraught with complications and class action lawsuits. The mesh can cause infections and is impossible or near impossible to remove making it an ongoing health and quality of life issue. There's plenty of info on the web about these mesh problems. At least pessaries can be removed. And if medication helps, you don't even have to mess with a pessary!

Anon_6061 responded:
One other thought - Loss of estrogen to the vagina and urethra can cause the symptoms you're having and even contribute to deterioration of the pelvic floor and subsequent organ prolapse. A vaginal estrogen (cream or suppository) may help restore tissue health and bladder function. Here are some links -
http://www.nafc.org/news/60/181/
http://www.obgmanagement.com/article_pages.asp?AID=9283#

Anon_963 replied to Anon_6061's response:
I mis-spoke, I have vaginal and bladder prolapse! Thanks for the correction.
It's truly 'significant' the doctor said. I've read that a pessary isn't as successful if one has no uterus.
I've tried the meds for overactive bladder but they didn't help so decided I'd just 'deal with it'.
My concern with the Pessary is having to remove it and re-insert it. If it's harder to get a good fit for people like me who have had a hysterectomy--I wonder if I'd get it 'back in' after removing it to clean, etc.?
The doctor said a correct fit is the key and she evidently feels confident about it so that isn't a concern, it's me having to do it.
As to the surgery--I am not anxious to have that--but my bladder actually 'protrudes' alot and I am up 3 or more times a night in the bathroom and lots of trips to the bathroom during the day. No pain, no leaking (unless in an extreme situation), just the protrusion of the bladder and frequent trips to the bathroom. Also, lately alot of aching in the lower abdomen that can be quite uncomfortable at times. Thanks for your comments--they are quite helpful.

Anon_6061 replied to Anon_963's response:
Please let me know what you end up doing and how it all works out. I fear I may be in your shoes down the road. Unfortunately, I had a hysterectomy too. If my bladder is full in the morning, it's painful...I suspect it's because it's fallen somewhat. I'll try not to think about it too much though because it makes me feel even more desperate.

Anon_963 replied to Anon_6061's response:
Actually, I decided 'not' to have the pessary, due to having to take it out to clean and put back in--not sure I'd get in in right and just have a procedure and have it not work. My doctor, after having gotten that message called me--herself (which is refreshing).
She understood my reasons and then told me that my vaginal prolapse and the bladder protrusion was 'significant' and she really recommends that I consider that--and I learned she wouldn't do the surgery--but she said it's an involved procedure and requires someone with alot of experience doing this so she asked me to call her if and when I decide to have the surgery and she has a couple of 'excellent Doctors--Urologists--whom she can recommend. So, I told her for now I'd deal with the symptoms--which are annoying but not painful (just mild aching) and not life threatening, for awhile longer anyway. So--that's where I am right now.

Anon_6061 replied to Anon_963's response:
Thanks for the update. I would have taken the same course - watch and wait - if it were me. I'm very "gun shy" about surgery after my hysterectomy experience. If you do end up having surgery down the road, I hope it all goes well!

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Menopause - Younger Ages
For those of you out there that are going/gone through menopause at an early age, Yes it happens. It's unusual but it happened to me. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website