Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
menopause at 39
lecarb posted:
Hi, I am writing this just hoping that people here can help me sharing experiences with me. I am 41 and started menopause at 39, at that time, was ok with me, my gynecologist prescribe me vivelle dot and prometrium (progesterene), i totally believed her, but i am so scared when i start reading everything online.
I did start those 2 years ago and stopped, start and stopped, now that i just found out that my bone density results show osteopenia, (early sign of osteosporoses), i am more scared and it is one more reason for me to take the hormones. i try just to accept that, but it is so hard, at age 41, so many thing happening bcause os menopause. My belly is ridiculous huge, i am always bloated, and no matter what i do, can not loose weight. Do exercise 5 times a week and watch what i eat. Any experience to share with me? thank you so much.
I am desperate right now

mountainmom48 responded:
Are you sure its perimenopause and not a thyroid issue? Have you had thyroid labs? Untreated hypothyroidism is a cause of osteopenia, so is a few extra pounds that are difficult to shed. Regarding osteopenia, is that being addressed? You need to find out how much calcium, vit d and magnesium you need to be taking for that in addition to the exercise program you have in place. I don't take hormones but am going to my gyno soon to see if adding low dose hormones might help with bone loss. Sorry for the tangent. I know you weren't asking for my bone health platform. Good luck!

lecarb replied to mountainmom48's response:
thanks for answering me. No, it is not thyroid, all my blood tests were normal.i am taking alread calcium, D, and magnesium that dr. told me.
i am just confused with so many opinions about hormones and upset that my belly is huge

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to lecarb's response:
Dear lecarb,
I do assume that your gyn has checked into your "belly" situation (Ie, that your ovaries look fine). Unfortunately, in menopause there does seem to be a central redistribution of weight from the periphery to the belly.
So keep up with lots of exercise, both aerobic and strength training. And I think your gyn's suggestions sound very good.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 30 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website