Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Menopause, Fibroids, and Contraception
An_251251 posted:
I've been on birth control pills for many years and switched to a low estrogen pill last year after fibroids discovered. 1 yr later, ultrasound #2 showed fibroids had doubled in size; FSH level 6. Stopped b.c. pills altogether and abnormal spotting stopped shortly thereafter. After two months, got a "hint" of a period--just dark traces but no flow--for several days. Ultrasound #3 showed fibroids had shrunken significantly. FSH level now 31. Was told that b.c. pills probably masked menopause and that now I'm in menopause and don't need to use contraception.

Does being in menopause (and not perimenopause) mean that I'm done ovulating? I've seen varying minimum FSH levels listed for menopause--anywhere from 25 to 40 for the low level. How can I know how long I've been menopausal if the b.c. pills were masking it? My doctor said I don't need to use contraception any longer, but after years on birth control, I'm worried I might be the exception: the woman in menopause who gets pregnant. Can I reliably stop using contraception at this point?

When does menopause end and postmenopause begin? What's the difference?

An_251251 responded:
I forgot to mention that I'm in my mid-50s.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Estring worked for me
I've had this problem periodically since menopause - I am now 67. Cure for me was Estring, which actually causes a pleasant sort of sweet ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website