Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
menopause
debfrmtx posted:
I am menopausal. I have not had a period for a year and a half. I began bio identical hormones in September. Was feeling so much better until this past Saturday I thought I was getting the cramps. When I went to the bathroom there it was! I am now on day 5 of this unexpected period. The first 2 days the cramping was pretty bad but they are not as severe now. If I am sitting, the pain lessens, but if I am standing it feels more like a dull ache. Kind of like everything wants to fall out. called my gyno and they are scheduling me for an ultrasound to check for endometrial cancer and I am scared...anyone else ever have this?

Anon_6061 responded:
Taking estrogen (or too much estrogen) without enough progestin or progesterone (P) can trigger bleeding. I read that bleeding after menopause is nothing serious 80% of the time. And some women have trouble with spotting while on HRT even though they seem to be on an adequate dose of P. Some choose to cycle their P to keep their lining thinned out. Hope this bleeding is nothing more than a nuisance! Please let us know what you find out.

Anon_6061 responded:
Any answers yet?

debfrmtx replied to Anon_6061's response:
had the ultrasound done but the same day had a biopsy done so waiting for the results...should know tomorrow or Tuesday...bleeding had stopped but it started again yesterday...just have to wait to hear from the doctor...

debfrmtx replied to Anon_6061's response:
had the ultrasound but they also did a biopsy so waiting for the results...

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Menopause - Younger Ages
For those of you out there that are going/gone through menopause at an early age, Yes it happens. It's unusual but it happened to me. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website