Includes Expert Content
No hot flashes yet
An_251369 posted:
I'll be 48 in a few weeks and I've never had any hot flashes yet. My cycles are like clockwork up until the last year or so. I would start spotting for a day then about 3-4 days later full force nature would kick in with a vengence. Another time I started spotting for a day and nothing for almost a week. I haven't any exams in 17 years but am finally going for a physical and mammogram in a couple weeks from now. I just haven't felt comfortable in having one done with the doctors around here. Last one was painful. I asked my doctor and he just said I was too young to start menopause. I also am diabetic for about 15 years. I just started taking Lisinipril and Lipitor the last few weeks. . I can't ask my mother as she passed away 4 years ago. My sister who is 4 years younger has had them for many years. She has fibroids also. My other sister is 10 years younger so cannot ask her. I started when I was in 5th grade so about 10 or 11. Any comments?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear An_251369,
You certainly may be entering perimenopause. The change in menstrual cycles is usually related to not ovulating as well as you used to-when you ovulate well, you make a good amount of progesterone; when we don't, as when we are heading to menopause, we can end up with all sorts of unusual bleeding patterns. If these patterns are very annoying, the introduction of some progesterone can be very helpful in evening things out. If you need to find a health care provider with special menopausal expertise, you can go to the website of the North American Menopause Society, menopause.org, and they have lists of certified menopause practitioners around the whole country-you should be able to find someone near you,
Good luck,
Mary Jane