Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Menapause or no
Debtabora posted:
I'm 48. Will be 49 in October. I had my tubes tied 20 years ago this month. Before my tubes were tied I was irregular having a period maybe 3 times a year. After, I was like clock work. At around age 40 I started having some night sweats but not all the time although I've always ended up putting a fan on most night for feeling warm but not being drenched in sweat. About two years ago my periods began to get more irregular to the point that sometimes I would get one every maybe 14 to 16 days for a few times and then it went regular again. This happened on and off a few times every 6 to 8 months. Four years ago I blew out my back at work and had surgery. My restrictions left me jobless. That's not what this is about but while I was trying to find a job and found I couldn't find one in my restrictions, I decided to get some things fixed to maybe help to find a job in another profession. S, I had my carpl tunnel taken cte of, and then decided to have a mid uretheral sling put in for the stress incontinence. I haven't had any noticeable issues like I've read about but now, the past three months, and it's been like 2 and a half years since the surgery, the problem is, my periods have become even worse! The past maybe two or three months, I've been having them more often to the point of the past 8 weeks at most I'm getting a period every 3 to 8 days! The cycle usually starts out like normal. Lasts like 5 to 7 days. Heavy at first with more clots. One time it was light like the final days of a normal one but lasted 5 days, and then I had 3 days with nothing, then another one but heavy to start! I don't know if this is normal for menapause or I it's something ekse! I don't feel like I'm having any more pain than a normal period. I'm exhausted and crabby as usual with a period. Maybe a little more so actually. Is this how menapause happens?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Debtabora,
This kind of bleeding could be related to perimenopause, but it also could be related to things like fibroids pressing in toward the lining of the uterus, or polyps. If you haven't yet seen your healthcare provider, I would suggest you do so; (s)he will most likely want to do an ultrasound of the lining of your uterus, or a sampling of the lining of the uterus (endometrial biopsy) to see if there is a problem with the uterus itself. There certainly are options to help take care of this bleeding; a progesterone coated IUD (MIrena), birth control pills, or a procedure called an ablation, which eliminates the lining of the uterus, could all be helpful; you should not have to bleed all the time. But do check in with your gyn, if you haven't yet.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Anon_6061 responded:
You've been through the wringer - surely don't need this on top of it! Hopefully, you can get some relief with a hormonal treatment and won't have to go the route of a procedure that can cause irreversible side effects. There's a lengthy discussion over on the Women's Health (Gyn Issues) community about endometrial ablation side effects that you may want to read if you're considering this option.

Debtabora replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
I was afraid you would say this! We lost our health insurance a couple months ago. I guess I will just have to find somewhere to be seen where it won't be so expensive cash wise. We have no children under age 20 so we do not qualify for assistance with insurance, I was hoping this was just normal but I thought it may not be seeing it seems to start up the day after intercourse as well. If however it's something like cysts, wouldn't they take care of themselves. I was told I had cysts on my ovaries when I was in my 20's but was told they would just go away on their own and they were small. Would have married a gyn instead of an HVAC guy! Lol!

Debtabora replied to Anon_6061's response:
I will check it out. Unfortunately we lost our health insurance a few months back and can't afford insurance right now so I will have to look into some resources. Thank you!

Debtabora replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
I just wanted to ask and I know without you seeing me and what not you can't say for sure, but if I'm not having any pain other than normal pain like with a regular period, might it be more towards peri menopause? I'm just wondering if there would be other symptoms associated with fibroids? And can you live with fibroids and just deal with the bleeding? Would the bleeding stop when menopause actually occurs? Or would I continue to bleed until its taken care of? It's in convenient and I'm tired and crabby for a few days but I wonder if its something you can live with? Could I loose too much blood over time? I was really hoping it was normal for peri menopause. Lol! Then I could just deal with it and know its temporary. Lol!

Anon_6061 responded:
Since heavy bleeding is your main symptom and you don't have insurance, have you tried taking an NSAID (such as Aleve, Motrin, or Advil) for the duration of your period? According to studies, those even reduce flow (as well as pain).

There may be a clinic in your area that will provide reduced fee services where you could maybe get an Rx for birth control pills or (non-hormonal) Lysteda which are usually effective for heavy bleeding. Here's a list of meds that are used to treat heavy bleeding - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0015970/table/ch8.t1/?report=objectonly.

If the fibroids aren't causing any problems besides the bleeding, there's no need to do anything else. However, this bleeding can cause you to become iron deficient so you may need to supplement with some iron.

Fibroids tend to shrink shortly after menopause and generally shouldn't cause post-menopausal bleeding.

Thanks so much! I feel better! I'm sure there are some clinics that will work with me based on income. I just haven't even looked yet. I Yale supplements so I think I'm good there. I take ibuprofen at times for my silent migraine where I blur out in my perriferial vision then if I don't take something right away, I get a headache. I had an MRI and I'm good there. My biggest concern was the frequency of my periods. My mom and her sisters all went through it all without any major issues. They didnt remember having one so frequently. They thought it was further between instead. It's annoying and I feel exhausted when it first starts up, like the day or so before and the day of, then I'm ok. But a lot more clots. Thank you again!

Anon_6061 replied to Debtabora's response:
Glad you're feeling better! Hope these nuisance periods are soon a thing of the past.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to Debtabora's response:
Dear Debtabora,
Indeed, ovarian cysts often do resolve themselves. You might want to check in with the folks at Planned Parenthood; many planned parenthood offices do a lot more than contraception, and deal with perimenopausal and bleeding issues as well, and they often have a sliding scale.
Hope you get this resolved soon for you,
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Darkened Skin above my lip
What can I do about dark skin above my upper lip. I have gone through menopause already. I have tried skin bleach to no avail. What do I ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website