Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Menopause/Burning Mouth/Low Iron
BarbaraSimi posted:
I already posted under "Low Iron..." but thought I would re-title. I am 51 and perimenopausal. After a few days of mouth/tongue burning, sore gums, sensitive teeth (accomp'd by difficulty sleeping, short of breath, fatigue) AND having just tapered off a period of nearly three weeks(!), I plugged in my symptoms on WebMD and was surprised to find low iron as a possible reason for my symptoms. It all made sense. I immediately popped my ignored muti-vitamin and went out for steak with my husband (really). If my symptoms don't improve over the week-end, I will see my MD. Anyone else out there with similar symptoms?

Anon_6061 responded:
Hey - what better reason to eat steak?! If your symptoms are from low iron (certainly could be since you've been having prolonged bleeding), it will take awhile to build up your iron stores. The iron in a multi-vitamin won't likely help much. Seeing your primary care doctor to check for anemia sounds like a good idea. Then you'll know how much iron to take to restore your levels although it can take awhile to bring them up. Taking the iron with vitamin C (and away from calcium) helps absorption.

BarbaraSimi replied to Anon_6061's response:
Thanks Anon_6061,
I definitely plan on seeing my MD/GYN about this as my symptoms are so slow to improve, Thanks for the info. Good health to you!

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 39 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website