Skip to content
High Blood Pressure Spikes During Menopause????
menonut posted:
I'm a 46 year old in the midst of menopause (FSH= 106) and have experienced my first ever bouts of high blood pressure. My BP was always consistent at about 100/60. I run an average of 30-40 miles per week. I've been having random "high blood pressure days" with no seeming rhyme or reason, and the Dr's can't figure out why. I went on a low dose of BP medicine (Losartan) which left my systolic BP too low and made me feel even worse. Has anyone else out there who is going through menopause experienced that when they get stressed out, their BP spikes very high now? Mine has been as high as 178/108. I've always been high-strung and easily stressed, but it's never resulted in high BP until now.

Anon_6061 responded:
My BP hasn't increased during menopause but I'm on estrogen (since an unwarranted hysterectomy) which may offer some protection. Sesame oil has been shown to lower BP so you could try that or a sesame oil product such as tahini hummus etc.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1942178/
http://www.webmd.com/hypertension-high-blood-pressure/news/20030428/sesame-oil-benefits-blood-pressure

If you try it, let us know how it works out for you.

menonut replied to Anon_6061's response:
Thank you for the suggestion, Anon_6061. I had another huge surge this week, possibly as a direct result trying a different BP medication that my cardiologist recommended. I'm afraid to try anything new at this point. My BP goes back to normal between the spikes. It's terrifying when it spikes. The only blood tests that have come back abnormal are a slightly elevated parathyroid level (but calcium is normal at 10.0) and my renin level is elevated. I have an appointment with a nephrologist this week. Everything has gotten so messed up since menopause hit. Good luck to you!!

sixftbrit replied to menonut's response:
Me too

An_250567 responded:
Have you had your thyroid checked? Sometimes hypo elevates bp. Are you taking your bp at home under the same conditions, legs uncrossed, all that? When you run, do you wear a monitor to track during those conditions? I don't have high bp, but mine spikes like yours when I get stressed in any way, I mean, even if I'm excited for a fun reason, like I'm having company for dinner. I take my bp about 3x a week mid morning.

adlinn90 responded:
I am 49 and have been experiencing the same thing. My cheeks will get very flushed, my head starts to ache, & my BP will be 130-140/85-90. My usual BP ran 95-110/60ish up till the past year or so.

alicejackson responded:
That happens. The solution was to take supplements to normalize your hormone levels. Try deer velvet. That's the best supplement on your menopause period.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Darkened Skin above my lip
What can I do about dark skin above my upper lip. I have gone through menopause already. I have tried skin bleach to no avail. What do I ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website