Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Just curious.......
queenb33251 posted:
I just had a partial hysterectomy 3wks ago and when I went in for my 2wk check up I was told I had an ovary missing so he removed the tube but I still have the other ovary. I asked dr. is it possible I was born with one and he said no because he seen the suture. So I will dig through my past to find any records of not having two ovaries. Anyhow I'm 36 and at 35 I started menopause because I will breakout into a sweat soaking my cloths everyday throughout the day, night sweats every night, miserable but my blood work comes back normal but I know I'm going thro it. Got new dr. because of pelvic pain & during sex. I just stared estrogens about 5 days ago so I have had one night sweat since than.Hopeing the meds take symptoms away for good. So if I only had one ovary than is it possible I was surely going thro menopause? If I still have symtoms on 1mg estrogen do I need a stronger dose?

Anon_6061 responded:
Sorry to hear about the hysterectomy. Interesting that you weren't aware that an ovary must have been removed. Did you have surgery for an ovarian cyst or endometriosis in the past when it may have been removed? Very odd and troubling though if the surgeon failed to tell you. You may also want to get the surgical report from this surgery.

Having an ovary removed can cause earlier menopause. I've heard stories where the other picked up the slack but also stories where it caused symptoms of reduced ovarian function.

Removal of the uterus can also cause reduced or complete loss of ovarian function. So if your symptoms get worse with the 1mg of estradiol, you may need to increase your dose. I'm older than you and I need more estrogen than the "maximum" dose of most estrogen Rx's.

Let us know what you find out about that missing ovary!

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear queenb33251,
It would not be weird for you to need more than 1 mg of estradiol; indeed, in Europe, for many years, the standard dose was 2 mg of estradiol. The younger a woman goes through menopause, indeed the more likely she will need a higher amount of estrogen. Another option to consider are transdermal patches; sometimes it is easier to manage symptoms that way.
The issue of the "missing ovary" indeed is interesting; hope you can resolve that issue, too.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Darkened Skin above my lip
What can I do about dark skin above my upper lip. I have gone through menopause already. I have tried skin bleach to no avail. What do I ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website