Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
"baby bump" and contractions!# really!!#?
An_251541 posted:
I'm 46 and in excellent health. I've always been in super good condition from both watching my diet and being an avid athlete. My perimenopause began before 40 and I think I've had just about every symptom at one time or another - but not too bad. (so I feel very fortunate!!)

I haven't had a period since December and in the past 30 days I've developed a "baby bump" and I'm having braxton hicks type contractions - NOT cramps. YES, I have been tested and I've had an ultrasound that showed cysts on my ovaries that were deemed "normal."

I've been working out more to hit the tummy, and I haven't really gained weight. I wear a uniform, though, and after every lunch (not dinner) I balloon against the waistband that used to be loose. It's so creepy to have this pregnancy re-live. What can I do to pass through this? Anti-bloating practices/medicines haven't worked.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear An_251541,
Alas, this is unfortunately a common problem for many perimenopausal women; even without a weight gain, there seems to be a central concentration in the belly. One suggestion that a lovely dietitian from University of Toronto suggested at the menopause meetings a few years ago: she suggested trying to limit carbs midday; I've passed that on to a few patients who have told me it did help a bit.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
Was this Helpful?
26 of 40 found this helpful