Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
"baby bump" and contractions!# really!!#?
An_251541 posted:
I'm 46 and in excellent health. I've always been in super good condition from both watching my diet and being an avid athlete. My perimenopause began before 40 and I think I've had just about every symptom at one time or another - but not too bad. (so I feel very fortunate!!)

I haven't had a period since December and in the past 30 days I've developed a "baby bump" and I'm having braxton hicks type contractions - NOT cramps. YES, I have been tested and I've had an ultrasound that showed cysts on my ovaries that were deemed "normal."

I've been working out more to hit the tummy, and I haven't really gained weight. I wear a uniform, though, and after every lunch (not dinner) I balloon against the waistband that used to be loose. It's so creepy to have this pregnancy re-live. What can I do to pass through this? Anti-bloating practices/medicines haven't worked.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear An_251541,
Alas, this is unfortunately a common problem for many perimenopausal women; even without a weight gain, there seems to be a central concentration in the belly. One suggestion that a lovely dietitian from University of Toronto suggested at the menopause meetings a few years ago: she suggested trying to limit carbs midday; I've passed that on to a few patients who have told me it did help a bit.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
Was this Helpful?
26 of 40 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website