Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Cervical Stenosis
Sue74 posted:
I am 56 years old. My last period was in 2009. I recently, Nov. 2013,
started to discontinue the use of compounded hormones taken since
2008. In March 2013 I started noticing a brownish discharge {bleeding}
After seeing a GYN and an unsuccessful uterine biopsy due to Cervical stenosis I am now scheduled for a ultrasound and if this shows abnormalties, Then a procedure much like a D&C to gather the uterine sample. If and when should I get a 2nd opinion and if one is warranted there are several GYN's in this office is it a good practice to use one of them? Also is there anything else or questions I should be asking? Thanks

Anon_6061 responded:
Dr. Minkin posted a few times on this thread about treatments for a stenotic cervix to improve success of endometrial biopsy - http://forums.webmd.com/3/menopause-exchange/forum/935.

It's very possible that stopping HRT could have triggered the bleeding. Most post-menopausal bleeding is nothing serious but still needs to be checked out. Per the table mid-webpage here http://www.jfponline.com/pages.asp?id=10784, only 7-10% is from endometrial cancer with 60-80% merely being an atrophic endometrium. Just as our vagina and muscles atrophy as we age after menopause, so can the uterine lining!

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Estring worked for me
I've had this problem periodically since menopause - I am now 67. Cure for me was Estring, which actually causes a pleasant sort of sweet ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website