Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
started bleeding again after a fall
vgardener posted:
Hello everyone,

I am 55 and went into menopause at 47 no symptoms at all other than the last two months before I stopped having a period they were so heavy I had to have a cat scan and ultrasound, the cat scan said they saw something on the ovaries the ultrasound saw nothing. Two months after that I never bled again.

Two months ago, end of February, I had a severe fall, landed right on my butt on cement, I heard a crunch and a crack and then instant pain. I am used to having a lot of pain, I have a noncanerous but inoperable spinal cord tumor that I take morphine, baclefen, and lyrica for but the pain when I fell made my 'everyday' pain feel like nothing. It took me fifteen minutes before I could pull myself up on the couch.

I probably should have gone to hospital but didn't I live in a small town and well the hospital does not have the best reputation. I finally went in when I started bleeding lightly. When I went to the hospital ER I sat in an exam room for 3 hours after seeing a doctor that was not very interested for five minutes, asked me how long ago I fell, how bad the bleeding was and left. They did do a blood test which they said was normal the nurse told me this.

When the doctor came back in he told me I was fine just a back strain and I was to fat to have any tests (okay I'm fat I admit it but to fat for an xray or an ultrasound?) He then left and I sat for 3 hrs. By this time it was time for me to take my meds, I follow a very strict protocal and only take them at the right time and only from MY doctor's prescription, when I informed the nurse it was getting time for meds. I was sent packing. So I assume they thought I was drug seeking even though I told them exactly who my doctor was and why I did not want any from them when the nurse offered.

The bleeding stopped after a couple of days, so stupid me forgot about it. Yesterday (4/20/13) I started getting cramps just like I used to when I still had my periods. The bleeding isn't horrible but I am passing horrible clots, they are so large that, I know this is gross but, the water in the toilet splashes. I am not quite sure what to do, my provider had to go on an extended leave and they aren't sure she will be back ( I am assuming she is probably sick, so sad she is a really nice lady) Since I live in such a small town, the doctors are not very good and most don't take medicare or won't take someone on a pain management contract. I did find a doctor thank God but I can't get into see him for another month.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? I am hoping it has something to do with the fall but I don't know. I am afraid to go back to the hospitaol. Anyone out there that could give me some ideas I would sure appreciate it.
Thanks!

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear gardener,
Good question; but alas I don't know the answer. Vaginal bleeding is seldom related to uterine trauma; so I don't know what to make of this. If it is possible, if the doctor that you will be seeing might be able to arrange this for you at a reasonable place, I would see if you can have a transvaginal ultrasound to evaluate the lining of the uterus, referred to as the endometrial echo. This would give you and him a place to start, and save you time in your evaluation; perhaps you could contact his office nurse and see if they could get this set up for you in the meanwhile. There is no clearcut explanation of why a fall would trigger all this.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Menopause - Younger Ages
For those of you out there that are going/gone through menopause at an early age, Yes it happens. It's unusual but it happened to me. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 30 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website