Hot Flashes again
An_251698 posted:
After many years of little-to-no hot flashes (complete hysterectomy in 2003), I've started having them again recently. Before the surgery, I had lots of fibroids in my breasts and uterous and after surgery they disappeared, as expected. Recently, the hot flashes returned and my breasts feel fuller and occasionally a little painful but I don't feel any lumps as I did when I had the fibroids. Should I be worried?

Anon_6061 responded:
Your symptoms sound like an increase in estrogen. Have you increased your intake of phytoestrogens such as soy or flax? What about alcohol? Wine, especially red wine, increases estrogen levels. I believe all forms of alcohol do to some degree.

I also had a hysterectomy (much to my chagrin) and my tolerance for alcohol is very low. More than one drink, and I'm constantly being awakened by hot flashes with my whole body feeling like it's an inferno. I'm on HRT and hot flashes aren't an issue otherwise.

Also, it seems that this resurgence of hot flashes years after hysterectomy (and maybe after natural menopause too) just happens sometimes. There's also something called ovarian remnant syndrome where some ovarian tissue is left (or even a third ovary) which can explain fluctuating hormones but this wouldn't seem to be the case this long after surgery.

Changes in thyroid function can also cause hot flashes but don't know about fuller breasts.

darlyn05 replied to Anon_6061's response:
Anon_6061, Out of curiosity from you mentioning Flax(seed), could you expound abit more of your knowledge with this supplement possibly increasing estrogen level and effects of hot flashes? Or post a link with further information? Thanx much!

Anon_6061 responded:
Here's a link - http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/991.html. It says "Lignans are similar to the female hormone estrogen - so similar, in fact, that they compete with estrogen for a part in certain chemical reactions. As a result, natural estrogens seem to become less powerful in the body. Some researchers believe that lignans may be able to slow down the progress of certain breast cancers and other types of cancers that need estrogen to thrive."

Another thought - Did you have endometriosis? It's possible that the endo could have returned and those implants produce estrogen.

Anon_6061, Thanx for the link, very interesting. I'm not the original poster so I hope she is following and reads the 2nd paragraph.

I have been using Flaxseed oil in capsule form to help with high cholesterol, and was wondering about the link with hot flashes and night sweats you mentioned.Guess you can't win with one and not loose with another.

Anon_6061 replied to darlyn05's response:
Is the flaxseed oil giving you hot flashes or night sweats? Has it lowered your cholesterol?

No, I was experiencing them before beginning the flaxseed oil capsules(about 3-4 yrs prior), and have been taking them once daily for the last yr and 8 mo. I had an endometrial ablation Nov 2010 with tubal ligation to end the menacing peri-pausal periods(it worked great for me). Since the ablation the night sweats have remained pretty much the same, although the hot flashes have increased frequency and intensity.

So, (doing the math out loud; 2.5 yrs post ablation, 1.5 yrs post flaxseed oil, 2.0 yrs post increases) the ablation and tubal gave me a 'booster' so to speak, and depending on how long these pausal symptoms are suppose to last, it's anybodys guess if the flaxseed oil is a contributing factor. The only way to find out is to stop takiing it for a time.

I was agressive in lowering my cholesterol naturally since I could not tolerate the medication to do so. Went from 275 to 229(4.5 to 2.4) in 8 mos. Changed my diet, added activities, started taking EPA/DHA Omega 3 capsules and flaxseed oil capsules. So, once again, I don't know if it was the flaxseed oil itself, or the combination. I'm guessing the combination as I look at all the numbers.

ladyloni responded:
I have had a radical hysterectomy, over 15 years ago as well, and have not taken hormone replacement therapy for over 10 years, and have recently gone through the same thing as you described. So painful and swollen they actually suspected a tumor.Negative. Thank God. still having the hotflashes, painful swelling on occasion, and they have no idea what is going on. wish I could help,. I did read down about the dietary information, none of that applied to me? how about to you?

ladyloni replied to ladyloni's response:
the doctor, did tell me that primrose oil helps with the breast pain and swelling, and i am sure you know about the fact that cafeine can cause breast lumps or irritate them, so if you are taking in a lot of cafeine, you might want to reduce that.