Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Post menopause bleeding
debr1012 posted:
Dr Gass

I haven't had a period for over 14 months until yesterday. My periods have always been heavy especially the last few years. I was very surprised by this since I have always been told that if you haven't had a cycle for over a year you won't have anymore. If it were just some spotting I probably wouldn't be concerned but I am having very heavy bleeding and quite a bit of clotting.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Debr1012,
It's Mary Jane Minkin answering; Dr. Gass is so busy these days as director of the North American Menopause Society, I've taken over to try to help answer questions. Indeed, once you go a full year without a period, you are considered fully menopausal, and in general you won't get any more bleeding. That being said, given that you are only 2 months past that "magic mark" it is still most likely this bleed is related to spontaneous ovarian activity; but since you haven't been ovulating and making progesterone throughout this year, it's not unusual for the bleeding to be heavy (as it was not regulated by progesterone.) Alas, though, I do have to recommend that you check in with your health care provider, because any bleeding over a year after the last menstrual period usually bears some investigation; your health care provider will most likely ask you to come in for a pelvic ultrasound after the bleeding stops, or a sampling of the lining of the uterus (an endometrial biopsy).
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website