Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Bioidentical pellet hormone replacement therapy in women
An_251754 posted:
I am a 61 year old post menopausal woman on hormone replacement ppellet therapy for about a year. I have experience relief of all of my menopausal symptoms and am enjoying a reved up and renewed libido. Please send me some true facts about this therapy and the risks involved. My understanding is that this form of therapy (bioidentical) carries far few risks than conventional hormone replacement therapy. I ham hearing some conflicting comments.

Stephanie

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear An_251754,
The major advantage that transdermal, non oral hormone therapy has is that it seems to have a lower risk of leading to blood clots, which is a good thing. Transdermal estrogens and oral estrogens have the same small risks of breast cancers when used for many years. I do not recommend pellet therapy, because most women get significant surges of estrogen when their pellets get inserted; and the pellet effects wear off unevenly. I usually would encourage you to consider switching to a transdermal patch, where estrogen levels are truly more "level"-without significant surges. And the transdermal patches are also bioidentical, and plant derived. And if you still have your uterus, you can also get bioidentical progesterone in the form of Prometrium, which is also available from a regular drug store.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
Was this Helpful?
26 of 40 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website