Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
phyto estrogen for menopaues symptoms
natrl1 posted:
Hi I'm new to this community but have been reading posts for about 2 months great info & very helpful !
Has anyone tried phyto estrogen for menopause symptoms?
After a sudden onset of symptoms, night sweats 4-5 times a night , multiple hot flashes during the day, mental confusion etc. (all of these hitting me at once) after a couple of weeks of this, I knew I had to do something so I did some research on alternatives to hrt & started using the Phyto estrogen by sol a ray . The symptoms subsided almost immediately for the most part but I seem to be having some gastro problems recently. (I've been using them for about a month) Any pros, cons. or info would be appreciated.
Thanks

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear natrl1,
Phyto estrogens are weak plant estrogens, which contain isoflavones, which can help hot flashes. Indeed, however, some women do experience some gastrointestinal distress, which can be problematic. If you can eat soy products directly, that may be most helpful, Another herbal type approach is black cohosh, which is not a plant estrogen, No one is quite sure of the exact mechanism of action, but it does seem to help. The brand Remifemin has a long track record of experience.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

natrl1 replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Thank you Mary Jane
I've been reading a lot of positive things about the Black cohosh & will be going to my nutrition shop to see if they carry the Remifemin brand, I appreciate your help!
natril1

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Darkened Skin above my lip
What can I do about dark skin above my upper lip. I have gone through menopause already. I have tried skin bleach to no avail. What do I ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website