Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
prempro
An_251767 posted:
I have been on Prempro for 16 years with no problems and feel great. Do have a history of bone loss in my family. Because of going on Medicare, the cost is no longer covered by insurance. It was suggested that I change to a combination of Esrradiol and Provera which is only a few dollars. I am willing to pay for the Prempro. Yes, it is a huge savings, but I am not willing to risk messing with my body and changing things after all this time. Don't know what to do. Would appreciate some advice.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear An_251767,
First question I will ask: are you on the lowest dose of Prempro? the reason I ask is that the North American Menopause Society recommends that folks take the lowest dose consistent with treatment goals, and the lowest dose will give you bone protection. I trust you are discussing your ongoing use of hormone therapy with your health care provider. Indeed, a dose of 0.5 mg of estradiol and 1.25 mg of provera would be ballpark equivalent to the lowest dose of pPrempro; and if that works out much less expensively, it is totally reasonable to give it a try. It should give you comparable bone protection to the lowest dose of prempro. You could try it and see how you feel; it is reasonably close to the lowest dose of prempro.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Estring worked for me
I've had this problem periodically since menopause - I am now 67. Cure for me was Estring, which actually causes a pleasant sort of sweet ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website