Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Cervical stenosis
Brandy54 posted:
I am 59 years old and i am thru menopause... i have had several abnormal Pap smears that they have been keeping an eye on.. Jus about 9 months ago they told me of this condition an didn't seem to be too concerned...about a week ago I started having some slight cramping then some lite bleeding with some clots ... Not consistent but went to the doctor today concerned about the bleeding... She also noticed the stenosis an was concerned about the bleeding because she couldn't get a clear view inside the cervix... She has recommended waiting for a month an to keep a log of when an much bleeding I get... If it stops nothing will be done if it doesn't then a pelvic ultrasound... Is this precancerous ??? I'm on Prempro concerned that maybe I should stop taking it .. Been on it for about 2 years now.. She recommended I stay on it... Is there nothing that can be taken to open the cervix up without surgery...

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Brandy54;
I don't know if you've been reading all the posts on this site, but we seem to be hearing from lots of women with cervical stenosis. I doubt that your bleeding situation is related to the cervical abnormalities; it could just be related to being on the hormonal therapy. So do not worry, but do followup with your gynecologist. As you may have noticed, there is a medication which we do occasionally use to help the cervix open up-we often use it before doing a biopsy of the lining of the uterus; it is called misoprostol. It can be quite helpful. So do not worry, but do follow up..
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website