Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    Cervical stenosis
    Brandy54 posted:
    I am 59 years old and i am thru menopause... i have had several abnormal Pap smears that they have been keeping an eye on.. Jus about 9 months ago they told me of this condition an didn't seem to be too concerned...about a week ago I started having some slight cramping then some lite bleeding with some clots ... Not consistent but went to the doctor today concerned about the bleeding... She also noticed the stenosis an was concerned about the bleeding because she couldn't get a clear view inside the cervix... She has recommended waiting for a month an to keep a log of when an much bleeding I get... If it stops nothing will be done if it doesn't then a pelvic ultrasound... Is this precancerous ??? I'm on Prempro concerned that maybe I should stop taking it .. Been on it for about 2 years now.. She recommended I stay on it... Is there nothing that can be taken to open the cervix up without surgery...
    Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
    Dear Brandy54;
    I don't know if you've been reading all the posts on this site, but we seem to be hearing from lots of women with cervical stenosis. I doubt that your bleeding situation is related to the cervical abnormalities; it could just be related to being on the hormonal therapy. So do not worry, but do followup with your gynecologist. As you may have noticed, there is a medication which we do occasionally use to help the cervix open up-we often use it before doing a biopsy of the lining of the uterus; it is called misoprostol. It can be quite helpful. So do not worry, but do follow up..
    Good luck,
    Mary Jane

    Featuring Experts

    Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

    Helpful Tips

    perimenapausal help that works for me.
    I'm 47 jus started expeiraning hot flashes again after not having them for 10Yrs. Now I'm not having periods for 2M Now and crave sugar for ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website