Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Are all these symptoms due to menopause?
An_251926 posted:
I was just diagnosed with now being post menopausal. Everyday it seems like there is a new symptom I have.

Hot flashes at night 25lb weight gain in 3 months Insomnia Fatigue Leg pain/heaviness especially at night Tender muscles throughout most of my body Pain and stiffness in feet/ankles when rising after sleeping Acid reflux Short fuse that even I realize I need to distance myself from others

I am close to celebrating my 1st anniversary with my husband who is wonderful but I'm sure at this point he's wondering what he got himself into by marrying me. The fun loving person I was seems to have left. Any suggestion would be very much appreciated as right now I'm feeling very alone in my own skin.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear An_251926,
Some of these symptoms could be attributable to menopause; some probably aren't. Insomnia, and secondary fatigue, achiness and moodiness certainly may well be related to menopause. Some weight gain (typically 5-8 pounds over the perimenopausal transition), but unlikely 25 pounds. Acid reflux also would be unlikely. Have you had thyroid functions checked? If not, probably worthwhile doing them.
I would suggest trying a short course of estrogen therapy, presuming you have no reasons you cannot try it. Even if you don't want to stay on it long term, you would then be able to figure out what is menopausal and what isn't. But I think you'll be likely to feel much better, and make sure you get into a good exercise and nutrition regime, which will help you feel better, too. And presuming you do feel well with it, I'd keep it up for a while. If you don't feel much better, than you can investigate with your health care provider what else might be going on.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website