Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Menopause Question
Lunarwolftally posted:
My one started May/12th/2013Is it normal for pms to last longer then a week
I am 31, 5 ft 2, 115 lbs
For the first 4-5 days it spotted and after that it was very light and would go 2 days then stop 1-2 days and start light again
Last time this happened my pms lasted 2 weeks and stopped on it's own but now it's doing what I posted above.
Now they are mild and go 1-2 days and stop then start up again, my mom said she went through menopause around the age 35, could i be going through menopause?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Lunarwolftally,
Good question: and I'll answer that it's hard to say. Family history is relevant, and given that mom was very young, it is possible that you are doing some perimenopausal changes; but lots of things can cause irregular menses like this. On your own, you can buy at the drugstore a test that checks your ovarian reserve (for example, the First Response folks make one of these tests). What these tests do is measure your FSH; and FSH is a pituitary hormone that drives the ovary, to strive to make estrogen. If your ovary is slowing down, the FSH rises (so in menopause, women have a very high FSH). You also can have your health care provider order a blood test to measure your FSH; traditionally we do them on the 3rd day of the period. So if you do the home test, and it does show a high FSH, you need to check in with your health care provider for further evaluation. If the FSH is totally normal, one would look to things like thyroid abnormalities which can also lead to unusual periods.
so do not hesitate to check in with your health care provider in any circumstance, to try to get a handle on what is giving you the unusual periods.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Lunarwolftally replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Did mom asked me to got my hormones tested and they came back normal, doctor said it was probably menopause or an off month, was just an off month cause now after almost a week in a half of abnormal it's normal now.

Thank you for answering, this was kinda new for me so I was kinda worried.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 30 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website