Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
3 periods in 6-8 weeks and still going......
An_252007 posted:
I am 53 years old, 5'2", 128 lbs. I have had 3 periods in the past 8 weeks with the last starting 2 weeks ago and still going (day 16). Period 1 lasted 1 week, 1 week off, Period 2 began and lasted 1 week, 1 week off, Period 3 began and has lasted 16 days so far. Prior to that I had gone 3 months with no period at all and no spotting. I have no pain or cramps --- just some normal breast tenderness associated with menstruation. There is a great deal of clotting. I had an ovarian cyst many years ago with one ovary removed and breast cancer 11 years ago (estrogen related). Is this a typical symptom for menopause? At what point do I call the doctor?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear An_252007,
It sure does sound like perimenopause. The major question is how much blood are you losing; if you are indeed passing large clots and bleeding heavily, you should check in with your health care provider to get the bleeding better organized for you. The major concern we have for bleeding not being related to hormonal changes (like are there abnormalities occurring in the lining of the uterus) would actually be lots of spotting; with any significant spotting, I would check in with your doctor.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 38 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website