Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Black Cohosh
kari69 posted:
Hello,

What is your opinion on Black Cohosh? does it work? is it safe? I am a 43 year old woman who is in the throes of perimenopause and I am having issues with anxiety, rapid heartbeat etc. I have had every blood test known to man just recently because they detected a small pericardial effusion on my echocardiagram, my ovarian reserve is normal, thryoid normal, chest xray normal. My primary care physician speaks highly of the black cohosh, I was just wanting opinions from anyone that has taken it. I'm not on any type of medications.

Thanks!

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Kari69,
I, too, am a black cohosh fan. However, you need to be careful about what product you choose. One study done by researcher Dr. Fredi Kronenbourg several years ago studied 11 different "black cohosh" products available in the US; 3 of these had 0 black cohosh. One product that is reliably tested is the German product Remifemin; it has been manufactured for about 50 years, and they use a standard isopropanolic extraction technique. It is available over the counter at most pharmacies in the US. It is certainly reasonable to try.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

CheapTrickFan replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Remifemin was recommended by my MD It's mostly for hot flashes and night sweats.. It doesn't make them go away but does lessen the amount you have. I helped me but you have to take it for a few weeks before it actually kicks in.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Estring worked for me
I've had this problem periodically since menopause - I am now 67. Cure for me was Estring, which actually causes a pleasant sort of sweet ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website