Skip to content
Complete hysterectomy
needinghelpat51 posted:
I am a 51 year-old African American woman and just had a complete hysterectomy in Feb of this year. I am going through some horrible night sweats, low sex drive, angry, and don't know what to take. My surgeon/OB Gyn prescribe me some low dose pills and I have not gotten them prescribe. I can't think of the name but my mom was taking them. I do know that the pill is purple and starts with a p. I was prescribe the lowest dose. Well I would like to know what can I purchase over the counter preferably from Walgreens to help me? Please help.
Anon_6061 responded:
Sorry to hear you had a hysterectomy. I had one too (unnecessarily) and it's not been a good experience. Sounds like you were prescribed Premarin. There are over-the-counter (OTC) remedies for menopausal symptoms but surgical menopause usually causes more severe symptoms than natural. The ovaries of a woman with all her parts produce hormones her whole life for optimal health and quality of life.

I was about your age at the time of my surgery and I take prescription estrogen. Without it, I cannot sleep or function on a day-to-day basis. While on an inadequate dosage of estrogen, I became suicidal, anxious, hot, very irritable, overwhelmed by everything, couldn't remember anything, couldn't sleep, vision blurred considerably, lost my hair and my youthful skin, etc.

So if you try OTC remedies or even a low dose Rx estrogen replacement, realize that you may need something stronger.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Menopause - Younger Ages
For those of you out there that are going/gone through menopause at an early age, Yes it happens. It's unusual but it happened to me. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 32 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website