Skip to content
Altered Taste
kneilsen posted:
I was wondering if anyone is (or has) experiencing altered tastes in their mouth? Have had a salty/sour taste in mouth for past six months, been to dentist, periodontist, ENT and GP. Finally went to GYN today, have to wait until day 3 of my cycle to test hormone levels, but after long discussion she seems to believe it's peri menopause. Though she has never heard of salty taste, she has heard of dry mouth and complete loss of taste. I'm hoping I'm not crazy. Hopefully I'm not the only one!

Anon_6061 responded:
I lost most of my taste buds and my mouth became very dry after a hysterectomy. I have little appetite which is probably good because if I ate like I used to, I probably would have gained weight. My mouth was so dry that my primary care doctor tested me for Sjogren's Syndrome. But it was negative so I chalk it up to (surgical) menopause.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website