Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Menopause Discharge
Krysia59 posted:
I am 59 and I was still getting a period but not every month. The flow would usually be quite light no cramps or problems. It stopped for a short time with no period, no spotting. It started again a few months ago and has been happening every month at the same time. The flow is not heavy but there has been some clot like discharge during that time. Is this a normal step to the actual ending of the monthly cycle. There is no pain or cramping just annoying especially during intimate times. Thank you in advance for your response.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Krysia59,
It certainly sounds like you are perimenopausal, and that these symptoms are not pathological. In general, when women do get bleeding at this point it is not related to ovulation (it is what we refer to as "non-ovulatory" bleeding) and without ovulation, it is usual not to have cramping. It is most likely to stop fairly soon; the vast majority of women are fully menopausal by age 60 (but not everybody!). If you haven't checked in with your health care provider, I would-just to let her or him know what's going on. Occasionally, at this point in time, some docs would suggest doing an ultrasound of the lining of your uterus after one of these periods, just to make sure you haven't accumulated a lot of "junk" in the lining of the uterus (to check the thickness of the endometrium). It is a relatively non invasive test, and can give some helpful information.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website