Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Am I going crazy?
Jusduck70 posted:
I am 42 years old and have been going through perimenopause since I was 38. I have reached the point where I feel like I'm going crazy. I am out of control in every aspect of my life. Over eating, over drinking, over spending and the anger has reached a new level. I went into a rage last night and don't even know what I said, but did suffer the aftermath from my boyfriend about how I am never again to speak to him like that. I am taking anti-depressants but cannot take hormones due to a long smoking history. Who has suggestions?
Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Jusduck70,
A couple of suggestions. First of all, hard to say whether this is perimenopause or not; often a tough diagnosis to make; but certainly could be. Are you seeing a mental health professional to provide your anti-depressants? One thought would be to see if they could incorporate something like Welbutrin into your regime; welbutrin is the same thing as Zyban, which is used to help stop smoking. If they could help you stop smoking, you could use low dose oral contraceptives, which could control the hormonal aspects. Are you exercising regularly? The more, the merrier; both aerobic and strength training type activities may well help control some of your feelings. And if you aren't seeing a mental health professional to prescribe your antidepressants (like you are being prescribed them by a primary care provider, for example)-you may want to start working with a counselor who could give you some guidance.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 31 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website