Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Help me with my wife
mikes52 posted:
my wife is 50 and she is in pre-menopause according to her per her doctor. I want to help her, but she is not receptive to any suggestions. our sex life is down and it has been this way for over 2 years. I have offered suggestions on exercise, herbal medications, food, and other things that I have read about, but she is not willing to try anything.

Does anyone out there have any suggestions. I have also just backed aaway from it, and hope she will decide to try something, but she seems comfortable with the situation.

Thank you

Anon_6061 responded:
I'm sorry you and your wife are going through this. Some women do experience a loss of desire around the time of menopause and/or afterwards. I've lost all desire but it was caused by a hysterectomy. I had a good libido before that even though I was nearing menopause. The surgery has caused many losses for me, desire and response being the least of my concerns even though I miss them terribly. Thankfully, my husband has hung in there.

Only time will tell if this is temporary. Menopause can be difficult and overwhelming as it is (due to physical and emotional symptoms) so it's possible this is the least of her concerns, for now anyway.

I hope you and your wife can work through this issue and move forward

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 39 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website