Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Pregnancy, Uti, or something else?
Proud_Aunty93 posted:
I have had on and off bad cramps since May 24, 2013 I had sex that day too which also was my ovulation day. Following those days I had cramps, mood swings, loss of apetite. On June 1st I woke up in the morning to use the bathroom and I noticed a change in my urine it smells odd and strong, and I was frequently using the bathroom but it was not painful to go. As my cramps continued I considered the fact that my period was due the next day June 2 but it came nearly 5 days late. The day before I started my period I had brown discharge and then I started. It was really heavy the first two days then lightened up, I just got off on Tuesday June 11. Today I'm cramping and I don't understand why and my urine is still odd smelling and I've noticed it's a bit cloudy now too. Can anyone help me understand what's going on and if I should make a trip to the Doctor? I'm 19 Years old if that helps any? Thanks!

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Proud_Aunty93,
First of all, do not worry about menopause! that would be extraordinarily unlikely to be the problem here. You certainly could have a urinary tract infection; it is easy to do a urine culture (just ask your health care provider to authorize one at a lab, and you can stop by and do a clean catch urine). If it is a UTI (or you think it may be), drink lots of fluids and do get in some cranberry extract pills, which could be helpful, while waiting for culture results. My next question is (which is the most important)-you mentioned having sex on your ovulation day-are you trying to get pregnant? If not, what type of contraception are you using? If you do suffer from cramping (which it sounds like you do, and also experience heavy flow) birth control pills would most likely really help you with your symptoms. If you do not have a health care provider, do contact your local Planned Parenthood, where you could be checked.
And if you are trying to get pregnant, make sure you are taking some folic acid-all women attempting pregnancy should be taking 400 micrograms of folic acid, to help prevent birth defects.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

mood swings/menopause
I have so much empathy for all women that go through this,either mild or severe.I was put on a hormone,very low dose because I have 4 ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website