Skip to content
HTR
DMath22 posted:
Why is it that a man can get hormones to become a women, but I cannot take hormones to stay a women?? Does anyone know anyone in the Fort Wayne area that is willing to have an open-minded coversation about managing my symptoms?

Anon_6061 responded:
Your post hit home! I recall being glued to the TV watching shows about transgenders and the whole process involved. Like you, I wanted to know how a man could possibly change into a woman - LOOK and FEEL like one.

I only developed this fascination (and longing to be transformed back into a woman) after my sex organs were removed (hysterectomy with ovary removal). Sure, to the outside world I still appear to be a woman (although a bit older looking). I still have breasts and a vagina but those don't give me my female hormones or my sexuality.

Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) helps but it's never returned me to my former self. Could it be that the uterus is the primary female sex organ?

Have you had a hysterectomy or had one or both ovaries removed? Or are you in natural menopause? Will no one prescribe HRT or will they not give you a high enough dose? What's their reason for undertreating you?

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 30 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website