Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Can anxiety attacks be brought on by menopause?
SharingAnxiety posted:
I am 43. Since August of last year, I have been experiencing severe anxiety. Started seeing a psychologist weekly for cognitive therapy which helps tremendously but my anxiety is to an extreme during ovulation, three days before my period and from the last day of my period for three or four days. My doctor has said I am starting menopause but she cannot confirm the anxiety is related. She is not an ob-gyn. If I know this will end with menopause, I can find mental relief. Otherwise, my life is on hold because the fear of having a public anxiety attack is terrifying. I have younger children that need their mom present. Is there a name for this?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear SharingAnxiety,
Women can develop anxiety attacks, as sort of a variant of their hot flashes. Although your symptoms are not classically perimenopausal, it certainly could be that you are experiencing some hormonal changes which could help precipitate these episodes. One option that might help you is to try a low dose birth control pill, if you are a candidate (healthy, non smoker). What a birth control pill would do is smooth out your hormonal fluctuations-they suppress ovulation, and you would be seeing a fixed dose of estrogen and progesterone daily. Pills also do not slow down the menopausal process; it will proceed (Ie, the ovaries function declining)-but you would not experience the hormonal fluctuation-so this might work out very well for you.
Do speak with your doctor about this-
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 39 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website