Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Returning Menstrual cycle?
ChristyS510 posted:
I have not had a period in almost 3 yrs due to a form of Leukemia that put me on Cytoxan (oral chemo) for 8 months, in remission as of 8/2010. That seems to have changed as of this morning. My blood counts say I'm in menopause, but i'm only 42 yrs old. They said my period might come back...but 3 yrs later??? Or should I be worried that something else is causing this?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear ChristyS510,
Sorry to hear about your leukemia, but I'm delighted you are doing so well-that's great. Chemo often puts the ovaries out of commission; however, the younger the woman, the more likely her ovaries can come back: and you indeed are young. So it is possible that this period could be a sign of your ovaries reawakening. So I would definitely contact your health care provider, who will probably want to investigate this episode, with an ultrasound or a sampling of the lining of your uterus. However, they may all be normal, and your ovaries can be beginning again to function.
Stay well!
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

mood swings/menopause
I have so much empathy for all women that go through this,either mild or severe.I was put on a hormone,very low dose because I have 4 ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website