Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Bioidentical hormone replacement therapy
Jemyls posted:
I will be 45 this year and am experiencing many of the perimenopause symtoms. I have been reading up and learning about bioidentical hormone replacement therapy and woud like to know has anyone used them and how effective has it been and is it safe. I feel like I'm going crazy and my body does whatever it wants to and I have no control. The weight gain and mood swings are the hardest to deal with. Aches all over and no energy is a problem too and I'm desperate for a solution. I want to enjoy life and this is not acceptable.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Jemlys,
Do read about bioidentical hormones-but don't go to a compounding pharmacy to find them. Please talk with your health care provider, if you are interested in them: and your health care provider can prescribe for you bioidentical products (estrogen in patches or gels) and progesterone, if needed, in pills or vaginal gels-from regulated pharmaceutical companies, with inspected plants. If your health care provider doesn't know about these, go to the website of the North American Menopause Society, menopause.org, and you can find a list of certified menopause practitioners near you, who would know all about these regular approved products-all plant derived, and tested.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Jemyls replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Thank you so much for your advice. I will surely be looking into this and talking to my Dr. It's been a rough journey the past year and the worst of it has been the weight gain.
Thank you,
J

wcarolegr responded:
Liquid Calcium,Boron at least 125mcg and beta-carotene will stop the heat flashes. Takes 3 to 5 days. You can get this at Wal-Mart there equate brand of multivitamin has the borob and the beta-carotene. They also have the Sundown brand of Liquid-filled Calcium. This works

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Menopause - Younger Ages
For those of you out there that are going/gone through menopause at an early age, Yes it happens. It's unusual but it happened to me. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website