Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Losing my mind???
didi5353 posted:
I am 53, on Bioidenticals & am still having some cognitive issues. I am so concerned that I am wondering if it is something deeper than normal. I forget dates, names and the simplest word will escape me. I am reading about hot flashes and that kind of thing on this site; what about cognitive issues? Is this ever addressed here? Thanks.

Anon_6061 responded:
I know what you mean! Hot flashes were the least of my worries or problems even though I had a hysterectomy (which was unwarranted at that). The cognition, memory, depression, and anxiety were so bad I thought I'd have to be committed! The rapid changes to my body and appearance surely didn't help matters either.

This nightmare continued for over a year even though I was prescribed the highest dose patch. I had to do my own research to realize that HRT can take a lot of trial and error to find a good fit and that hormone tests are pretty useless when determining effectiveness of a particular HRT. Once I understood this and found a doctor who listens, things started turning around.

How long have you been on hormones? Have you tried several? Do you have all your parts?

didi5353 replied to Anon_6061's response:
Had a partial several years ago. Started having all the menopause symptoms a while ago. First doc wouldn't help because I was a smoker. Quit smoking then he said since my father died of a heart attack, I was not a good candidate for HRT. VERY FRUSTRATING!! I heard of BHRT & began using BiEST, Progesterone & Testosterone (creams). It took a little adjusting, but the hot flashes & night sweats are pretty much gone....along with my mind!! LOL! I can't seem to remember the simplest stuff. Words escape me all the time. Today I gave a wrong date to someone & it screwed up an appointment. I was so upset when I realized what I'd done that I almost started to cry. It's scary. I'm seriously thinking about having a brain scan done. People are noticing at work, too, which can be detrimental to my career. I'm a wreck about all of it.

Anon_6061 replied to didi5353's response:
In my opinion, you probably aren't getting enough estrogen. Biest is VERY weak - only 20% estradiol and 80% estriol (the weakest estrogen). Why not go with a commercial retail estradiol prescription patch, gel, or tablet (Estrace or its generic)? You shouldn't need progesterone either since you don't have a uterus.

Do your research about the many increased health risks of estrogen deficiency caused by ovary removal (or premature ovarian failure - natural or surgically induced). And understand the risks and benefits of estrogen replacement so you can advocate for what's best for your health and quality of life.

ICAMMCO responded:
I am 49 and also had the same issues. Last summer I could not put 2 sentences together, gained 20 lbs, and could not explain my issues. My regular Doctor and OBGYN wanted to put me on Effexor and blood pressure medication. I refused and I researched and found bioidentical hormone therapy. I also researched Doctors, and made sure I selected the right one. I found an endocrinologist who had 14 years of experience in this area, am now on Pellet therapy and have returned to my pre-menopausal state. What an endocrinologist does is look at all hormones, neurotransmitters and amino acids. The Doc will completely balance your hormones, supplement essential amino acids and return you to a pre-40 state. I no longer have hot flashes, mood swings, and I have my cognitive abilities back. My kids comment on how quiet I became last summer, and that they are so relieved I am back to what I use to be. Including patience and kindness. I don't know where you live but my Doctor is Mark Bartiss, has 3 offices in NJ and is amazing. I now work for him because I want everyone over 40 to know this is available.

IlanaH responded:
I heard coconut oil may help cognitive performance, maybe you can try some. Just several months ago, I had almost every common symptoms of menopause, and I couldn't even remember what we had for dinner last night. It was terrible. One of our family friends recommended an herbal supplement to me. I took 4 capsules each time, twice a day. The symptoms got controlled just in two weeks. Now I take half the dosage, and feel great. There are a lot of herbal products out there. You can find the one you like best. The supplement I'm taking doesn't claim to improve cognitive issues, but I do think it helped. And the most important thing is to relax. Anxiety only makes things worse.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 39 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website